BY Ross von Metzke
September 24 2009 1:55 PM ET
Why do you think they flagged it?
Well, I know they flag content based on users flagging it first, but then they review it before they actually agree to put a restriction on it. I really couldn’t say -- if it was just because there were an overwhelming number of people who flagged it, maybe that’s a reason. But I’ve read through their policies on what constitutes inappropriate content, and I fail to see where my video violates their policy.
Does it surprise you at all that Shakira’s video isn’t flagged but yours is?
It doesn’t surprise me, but it’s frustrating. That’s probably the main point of this, since mine copies Shakira’s so closely. It really draws attention to the double standard.
I’m going to go out on a limb here, but with 150,000 views, I’m guessing Shakira has seen this or is at least aware of its existence. For you, what would be her ideal response?
I’ve never really thought about this. I’d be thrilled if she liked it.
Well, there’s the guy who did Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies” video, and he wound up walking the red carpet with her at the premiere for her movie Obsessed. That group of friends did their “Party in the USA” video and Miley Cyrus tweeted that she was addicted to it. So, theoretically speaking, Shakira could reach out to you. Have you given any thought to what you would do if she came calling?
I haven’t given any thought to that. I mean, I wouldn’t be opposed to it. Whatever reaction I get from her would be great.
What has been the most ridiculous response?
When it was first posted on ReddIt, one of the first comments posted, probably within 10 minutes of my posting it, was “Most disturbing thing I’ve ever masturbated to.” I got a kick out of that.
So what song are you going to take on next?
Who knows. It would be hard to do something like this again. Mostly because the original video was so easy to duplicate. None of the dance moves were impossible. It didn’t have huge special effects. There weren’t a lot of extras, and there were only three sets. But we'll see.
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 40 min 8 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 54 min 55 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 57 min 5 sec ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 4 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 17 min ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM