Mel Gibson’s Rainbow Connection
BY Brandon Voss
July 26 2010 2:05 PM ET
By now you’ve probably heard the leaked audio recordings of Mel Gibson’s alleged rants to girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. But what if the dirty secret buried in Gibson’s rose garden were a new romance with a Jewish gay man named Randy Rainbow? The 29-year-old New York City–based blogger explains how he turned a public scandal into a YouTube sensation.
How are things going with you and Mel?
So great! We’re at that stage now where we’re getting really comfortable around each other, but where he’s still being super romantic and calling me cute little anti-Semitic pet names.
But seriously, folks. Talk to me about the inspiration behind your new YouTube video, “Randy Rainbow Is Dating Mel Gibson.”
I have a fairly twisted sense of humor, so that helped. Also, whenever I hear or see something really upsetting, my mind immediately goes to comedy — sort of as a “fight-or-flight” coping mechanism. So when I initially heard those tragic Mel Gibson tapes, I thought, Wouldn’t it be funny if this were actually him courting someone?
In the clip you break it to your mother by phone that your new boyfriend isn’t Jewish. Is Gibson’s alleged anti-Semitism part of the reason you targeted him?
That line about him not being Jewish was actually a last-minute ad lib, so I’m glad people are catching it. But yes, I figured that with all of his anti-Semitic and homophobic rants, it would be a perfect shit storm for old Mel to be portrayed as the gay boyfriend of a nelly Jew like me. It’s too bad I’m not also African-American, and I apologize for that.
How might your parents react if you actually took home Mel Gibson for Passover?
I’d like to say that he wouldn’t be welcomed in our home, but my mom has that classic Jewish mother mentality, so the fact that he’s a wealthy celebrity would trump everything else. He’d be at the head of the table for Seder, reciting the Four Questions — though probably with a lot more profanity.
Do you have any comparable horror stories when it comes to dating?
Well, I’ve dated my fair share of out-of-work actors, so most have been narcissistic alcoholics, but luckily no one’s threatened to bury me anywhere yet.
Your video has gotten more than 60,000 views in a week, and it’s already been featured on a number of major blogs. What has that recognition been like for you so far?
It’s been fun. I hoped people would like it, but I could not have expected this reaction. After a couple days I started getting e-mails from friends saying, “Bitch, you and Mel are all over the place!”
Lately, the most popular gay YouTube clips have been spoofs of pop songs by cute boys in swimsuits. Why do you think your video has caught on despite its blatant lack of male nudity and Lady Gaga?
I’ve certainly considered that and am flattered by it. Aside from the fact that its subject is a hot topic right now, I like to think that people’s attention spans are still durable enough to withstand 4.5 minutes without lip-syncing or pecs. But I love all those other videos too, and I’m a big fan of male nudity and Lady Gaga. Hopefully those things are at least implied in my video.
Watch "Randy Rainbow Is Dating Mel Gibson" below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- A Letter to My Partners
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 3 min 25 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 6 min 26 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 42 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 54 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 2 hours 25 sec ago