Mel Gibson’s Rainbow Connection
BY Brandon Voss
July 26 2010 1:05 PM ET
By now you’ve probably heard the leaked audio recordings of Mel Gibson’s alleged rants to girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. But what if the dirty secret buried in Gibson’s rose garden were a new romance with a Jewish gay man named Randy Rainbow? The 29-year-old New York City–based blogger explains how he turned a public scandal into a YouTube sensation.
How are things going with you and Mel?
So great! We’re at that stage now where we’re getting really comfortable around each other, but where he’s still being super romantic and calling me cute little anti-Semitic pet names.
But seriously, folks. Talk to me about the inspiration behind your new YouTube video, “Randy Rainbow Is Dating Mel Gibson.”
I have a fairly twisted sense of humor, so that helped. Also, whenever I hear or see something really upsetting, my mind immediately goes to comedy — sort of as a “fight-or-flight” coping mechanism. So when I initially heard those tragic Mel Gibson tapes, I thought, Wouldn’t it be funny if this were actually him courting someone?
In the clip you break it to your mother by phone that your new boyfriend isn’t Jewish. Is Gibson’s alleged anti-Semitism part of the reason you targeted him?
That line about him not being Jewish was actually a last-minute ad lib, so I’m glad people are catching it. But yes, I figured that with all of his anti-Semitic and homophobic rants, it would be a perfect shit storm for old Mel to be portrayed as the gay boyfriend of a nelly Jew like me. It’s too bad I’m not also African-American, and I apologize for that.
How might your parents react if you actually took home Mel Gibson for Passover?
I’d like to say that he wouldn’t be welcomed in our home, but my mom has that classic Jewish mother mentality, so the fact that he’s a wealthy celebrity would trump everything else. He’d be at the head of the table for Seder, reciting the Four Questions — though probably with a lot more profanity.
Do you have any comparable horror stories when it comes to dating?
Well, I’ve dated my fair share of out-of-work actors, so most have been narcissistic alcoholics, but luckily no one’s threatened to bury me anywhere yet.
Your video has gotten more than 60,000 views in a week, and it’s already been featured on a number of major blogs. What has that recognition been like for you so far?
It’s been fun. I hoped people would like it, but I could not have expected this reaction. After a couple days I started getting e-mails from friends saying, “Bitch, you and Mel are all over the place!”
Lately, the most popular gay YouTube clips have been spoofs of pop songs by cute boys in swimsuits. Why do you think your video has caught on despite its blatant lack of male nudity and Lady Gaga?
I’ve certainly considered that and am flattered by it. Aside from the fact that its subject is a hot topic right now, I like to think that people’s attention spans are still durable enough to withstand 4.5 minutes without lip-syncing or pecs. But I love all those other videos too, and I’m a big fan of male nudity and Lady Gaga. Hopefully those things are at least implied in my video.
Watch "Randy Rainbow Is Dating Mel Gibson" below.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 34 min 3 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 27 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 44 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 53 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 18 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 21 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 54 min ago