Mel Gibson’s Rainbow Connection
BY Brandon Voss
July 26 2010 2:05 PM ET
The comments section of a gay blog can be a vicious place. What’s the feedback been like for you?
Knock wood, everyone’s been really kind so far. Lots of people are quoting lines from it, which I love. One gentleman said, “I want to be the pot o’ gold at the end of that Rainbow.” Hopefully we can work that out.
Though the video is clearly a satire, some comments have expressed concern that the closing sentiment — “If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic abuse, suck it up” — makes light of a serious situation.
It’s interesting to me that some people can laugh all the way through the first four minutes and then suddenly be so offended by the last ten seconds, which is really no more than a punctuation of the four-minute joke that's just been told. I hope people understand that the message at the end is meant to be from the viewpoint of the Jewish gay man silly enough to actually date Mel Gibson. It’s absurdity. I obviously don't condone abuse of any kind.
More tapes of Gibson’s rants have leaked since you posted your video. Should your fans expect to see another phone call from Mel?
I haven’t listened to his new stuff yet, but yeah, Mel still has my number.
With which other celebrities would you like to have fake phone conversations?
I’d love Lindsay Lohan to call me from jail. That would be a short video, though, because I’d probably just hang up on her.
When did you start making videos?
I believe one of my first videos is of me as a flamboyant 8-year-old, acting out a live version of The Wizard of Oz — in the role of Dorothy, obviously. Back then, I think my main goal was to be Judy Garland, but now I just hope to entertain people. And to be Judy Garland.
Who’s your YouTube idol?
Remember that big black girl who fell off the table while she was singing? I would love to be her.
Did you have any help filming the Mel Gibson video?
My process is a very lonely one. It’s just me alone in my apartment with my video camera. My cat sits off-camera and looks at me funny. Sometimes he feeds me my lines.
So what’s your story, Randy?
I’m a Long Island Jew. I was actually raised in South Florida from the age of 9, but there’s nothing funny about that. I have a performing background — mostly musical theatre — and I’m a writer. I’ve always been a ham and I like to think of myself innately as a comedian. I come from a very funny family, so I guess it’s in my genes. I’ve yet to give stand-up a go, but it’s always in the back of my mind. Ultimately, I’d love to write and act for film and television. I also hope to one day have my own talk show. I hear Oprah has an opening on her new network.
Randy Rainbow — is that your real name or what?
Ain’t no way I’d make that shit up. It sounds like the corniest stage name ever, but it is in fact on my birth certificate. I used to think, Why couldn’t my parents have gone with Mike or Adam, so at least I wouldn't have the double-R alliteration? But I guess if you're going to have a really fruity name, you might as well go full-out.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 22 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM