BY Brandon Voss
March 28 2011 9:45 AM ET
Mikala Bierma has made quite the viral impression in the last two weeks with Disappointing Gay Best Friend, her new series of video shorts opposite Tyler Coates, a Brooklyn-based writer whose low-key indifference and post-hipster malaise make for one hilariously unexpected gay sidekick. Bierma certainly doesn’t disappoint as she speaks to The Advocate about tired gay stereotypes and the criticism she got for saying “hot tranny mess.”
The Advocate: For starters, I think it’ll feel good to take your Lady Gaga–related advice and say, “Girl, do you.” What’s your story, funny lady?
Mikala Bierma: You betta work. I’m originally from Minnesota and went to the theater school at the University of Michigan. Then I moved to Chicago, where I performed as a comedian at Improv Olympic, the Lincoln Lodge, and the Annoyance Theater. I moved to New York about six months ago, and now I’m being Internet-famous and performing stand-up all around town. I’m pretty amazing — gaymazing, some would say.
What inspired your Disappointing Gay Best Friend videos?
The inspiration came out of two drunken nights. A few months ago Tyler and I met up with a bunch of my gay friends from college who were being super-bitchy and downright mean. I found myself worried that these guys were being too gay for Tyler. Later, I asked him if he was offended by all the shit-talking. He was like, “No, I know lots of gay men. I date gay men.” That experience planted a seed that there’s something funny about comparing Tyler to that bitchy gay stereotype. A couple weeks later I was performing in a variety show, and Tyler was wasted. He teetered toward me in all his hipster glory and confessed that he wanted to perform with me. I was like, “Yes, let’s shoot something!” Later that week we got together and filmed the first three shorts.
How true is the Disappointing dynamic to your real-life relationship?
We’re playing exaggerated versions of ourselves. There’s a lot more love between us in real life. Although if I asked him how I looked in a dress, he would never say “fierce.”
Some bloggers are viewing Disappointing Gay Best Friend as a direct, more realistic response to the Sassy Gay Friend Web series that aims to counter its sassy gay stereotypes. Is that fair?
We didn’t set out to comment on anything. We just want to be funny and make each other laugh. The world is full of many different gays — sassy and disappointing. They’re like snowflakes.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 45 min 48 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 49 min 12 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 57 min 45 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 12 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 26 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 34 min ago