BY Brandon Voss
March 28 2011 8:45 AM ET
Mikala Bierma has made quite the viral impression in the last two weeks with Disappointing Gay Best Friend, her new series of video shorts opposite Tyler Coates, a Brooklyn-based writer whose low-key indifference and post-hipster malaise make for one hilariously unexpected gay sidekick. Bierma certainly doesn’t disappoint as she speaks to The Advocate about tired gay stereotypes and the criticism she got for saying “hot tranny mess.”
The Advocate: For starters, I think it’ll feel good to take your Lady Gaga–related advice and say, “Girl, do you.” What’s your story, funny lady?
Mikala Bierma: You betta work. I’m originally from Minnesota and went to the theater school at the University of Michigan. Then I moved to Chicago, where I performed as a comedian at Improv Olympic, the Lincoln Lodge, and the Annoyance Theater. I moved to New York about six months ago, and now I’m being Internet-famous and performing stand-up all around town. I’m pretty amazing — gaymazing, some would say.
What inspired your Disappointing Gay Best Friend videos?
The inspiration came out of two drunken nights. A few months ago Tyler and I met up with a bunch of my gay friends from college who were being super-bitchy and downright mean. I found myself worried that these guys were being too gay for Tyler. Later, I asked him if he was offended by all the shit-talking. He was like, “No, I know lots of gay men. I date gay men.” That experience planted a seed that there’s something funny about comparing Tyler to that bitchy gay stereotype. A couple weeks later I was performing in a variety show, and Tyler was wasted. He teetered toward me in all his hipster glory and confessed that he wanted to perform with me. I was like, “Yes, let’s shoot something!” Later that week we got together and filmed the first three shorts.
How true is the Disappointing dynamic to your real-life relationship?
We’re playing exaggerated versions of ourselves. There’s a lot more love between us in real life. Although if I asked him how I looked in a dress, he would never say “fierce.”
Some bloggers are viewing Disappointing Gay Best Friend as a direct, more realistic response to the Sassy Gay Friend Web series that aims to counter its sassy gay stereotypes. Is that fair?
We didn’t set out to comment on anything. We just want to be funny and make each other laugh. The world is full of many different gays — sassy and disappointing. They’re like snowflakes.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM