BY Brandon Voss
March 28 2011 9:45 AM ET
Mikala Bierma has made quite the viral impression in the last two weeks with Disappointing Gay Best Friend, her new series of video shorts opposite Tyler Coates, a Brooklyn-based writer whose low-key indifference and post-hipster malaise make for one hilariously unexpected gay sidekick. Bierma certainly doesn’t disappoint as she speaks to The Advocate about tired gay stereotypes and the criticism she got for saying “hot tranny mess.”
The Advocate: For starters, I think it’ll feel good to take your Lady Gaga–related advice and say, “Girl, do you.” What’s your story, funny lady?
Mikala Bierma: You betta work. I’m originally from Minnesota and went to the theater school at the University of Michigan. Then I moved to Chicago, where I performed as a comedian at Improv Olympic, the Lincoln Lodge, and the Annoyance Theater. I moved to New York about six months ago, and now I’m being Internet-famous and performing stand-up all around town. I’m pretty amazing — gaymazing, some would say.
What inspired your Disappointing Gay Best Friend videos?
The inspiration came out of two drunken nights. A few months ago Tyler and I met up with a bunch of my gay friends from college who were being super-bitchy and downright mean. I found myself worried that these guys were being too gay for Tyler. Later, I asked him if he was offended by all the shit-talking. He was like, “No, I know lots of gay men. I date gay men.” That experience planted a seed that there’s something funny about comparing Tyler to that bitchy gay stereotype. A couple weeks later I was performing in a variety show, and Tyler was wasted. He teetered toward me in all his hipster glory and confessed that he wanted to perform with me. I was like, “Yes, let’s shoot something!” Later that week we got together and filmed the first three shorts.
How true is the Disappointing dynamic to your real-life relationship?
We’re playing exaggerated versions of ourselves. There’s a lot more love between us in real life. Although if I asked him how I looked in a dress, he would never say “fierce.”
Some bloggers are viewing Disappointing Gay Best Friend as a direct, more realistic response to the Sassy Gay Friend Web series that aims to counter its sassy gay stereotypes. Is that fair?
We didn’t set out to comment on anything. We just want to be funny and make each other laugh. The world is full of many different gays — sassy and disappointing. They’re like snowflakes.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 20 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 33 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 1 hour 39 min ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 4:19 PM
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 4:16 PM