A Gay Airman's Story: Coming Out to Dad, Then Mom
BY Michelle Garcia
September 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling
his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day
of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube
followers — and his father. The moment spread across the Internet and then national television.
But he hadn't released video of what he expected would be the more difficult moment — coming out to his mother in Alabama in a phone call a half hour later.
Going by the username, AreYouSuprised, Airman 1st class Randy Phillips, a 21-year-old airman stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, had already told ABC News that everyone around him had been supportive before he released the video with his mom on his YouTube page on Thursday.
feels great. It's nice not having to look over your shoulder, or worry
about who you are talking to," Phillips told ABC News this morning. "I
think everybody knows. I never thought I'd be so comfortable with it.
It's very supportive. Everybody's been absolutely great."
Watch his latest video, and then see how he came to this moment in the video diary entries on following pages.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM