A Gay Airman's Story: Coming Out to Dad, Then Mom
BY Michelle Garcia
September 08 2011 3:00 AM ET
A young gay airman who had been slowly chronicling
his coming out process while serving overseas celebrated the first day
of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" by coming out to his YouTube
followers — and his father. The moment spread across the Internet and then national television.
But he hadn't released video of what he expected would be the more difficult moment — coming out to his mother in Alabama in a phone call a half hour later.
Going by the username, AreYouSuprised, Airman 1st class Randy Phillips, a 21-year-old airman stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, had already told ABC News that everyone around him had been supportive before he released the video with his mom on his YouTube page on Thursday.
feels great. It's nice not having to look over your shoulder, or worry
about who you are talking to," Phillips told ABC News this morning. "I
think everybody knows. I never thought I'd be so comfortable with it.
It's very supportive. Everybody's been absolutely great."
Watch his latest video, and then see how he came to this moment in the video diary entries on following pages.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 3 min 58 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 34 min 47 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 23 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 29 min ago