Five Crowdfunding Campaigns You Should Consider This Week
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 14 2012 2:00 PM ET
On the heels of last year's successful crowdfunding campaign for I am Divine, award-winning director Jeffrey Schwarz's soon-to-be definitive biographical portrait of Harris Glenn Milstead, the drag artists who transformed himself from a bullied schoolyard fat kid to a larger than life personality and underdog royalty as his alter-ego Divine. Divine stood up for millions of gay men and women, female impersonators, punk rockers, the ample figured, and countless other socially ostracized people. While the campaign only raised $38,574 of Schwarz's $100,000 goal, IndieGoGo (unlike Kickstarter) offers a flexible funding campaign so he was able to use all that cash to start the doc. We decided to look at four other crowdfunded LGBT projects worthy of a gander.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law