Five Crowdfunding Campaigns You Should Consider This Week
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 14 2012 2:00 PM ET
On the heels of last year's successful crowdfunding campaign for I am Divine, award-winning director Jeffrey Schwarz's soon-to-be definitive biographical portrait of Harris Glenn Milstead, the drag artists who transformed himself from a bullied schoolyard fat kid to a larger than life personality and underdog royalty as his alter-ego Divine. Divine stood up for millions of gay men and women, female impersonators, punk rockers, the ample figured, and countless other socially ostracized people. While the campaign only raised $38,574 of Schwarz's $100,000 goal, IndieGoGo (unlike Kickstarter) offers a flexible funding campaign so he was able to use all that cash to start the doc. We decided to look at four other crowdfunded LGBT projects worthy of a gander.
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Why Are We Gay?
- Op-ed: The Real Ramifications of the Rentboy Raid