Crowdfunding Campaigns You Should Consider This Week
BY Jase Peeples
April 21 2013 5:13 PM ET
Project: Vuto: a novel about Africa, women & the Peace Corps (Kickstarter)
Vuto is out author A.J. Walkley’s third book and the premise was inspired by her experience as a health volunteer in the Peace Corps, stationed in Malawi, Africa. As a member of the Peace Corps, she was exposed to many cultural traditions including the "two week rule" of birth – when a child is born in the village, it must survive for two weeks before its father will acknowledge its existence. If the child dies before the two week point is reached, the mother and women of the village bury the child and the father will never know he had a child at all. This tradition forms the basis for her novel, Vuto. Though Walkley has already reached her $3,000 goal, additional funds pledged will be used to fund the book trailer, marketing costs, and book tour.
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication