Use of Antigay Slurs Soars on Twitter
BY Jase Peeples
June 06 2013 2:35 PM ET
Though the LGBT community has made great strides in the battle for equal rights over the past 12 months, the use of antigay hate speech on Twitter has only increased.
Gathering numbers from the site NoHomoPhobes.com, Vocative reports that use of the word “faggot” has more than doubled in the past year, rising from approximately 22,000 to 58,000 mentions per day on the social media site.
The use of “dyke” in tweets has remained steady at about 3,500 mentions daily.
Use of the terms “so gay” and “no homo” has also remained around the same over the past year, with the exception of occasional spikes in usage tied to news stories, such as the recent incident of NBA player Roy Hibbert saying “no homo” at a press conference.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM