WATCH: Wendy Williams on the Origins of 'How You Doin'?'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 21 2012 4:02 PM ET
Wendy Williams sat down with BET.com's Clay Cane to dish on her biopic, the time Halle Berry tapped her breast, and her love for the gays, along with the source of her signature catchphrase, "How you doin'?"
"First of all, you have to say it like a drag queen," Williams told Cane. According to Williams, the catchphrase came about from her stint on a Philadelphia radio morning show, when a cohost would affect the voice of a gay character named Shantay. None of the other hosts wanted to engage with Shantay, so Williams stepped up with a sassy, "Hey. Shantay, how you doin'?"
"So now it's become my official catchphrase of the show," said Williams, "because what I found through the years, since the beginning of 'How you doin', is that it makes everybody laugh and smile, and it breaks up the room."
Williams also talks about the now-shelved biopic she and her husband began and which celebrity she was recently most nervous about interviewing.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM