WATCH: Wendy Williams on the Origins of 'How You Doin'?'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 21 2012 4:02 PM ET
Wendy Williams sat down with BET.com's Clay Cane to dish on her biopic, the time Halle Berry tapped her breast, and her love for the gays, along with the source of her signature catchphrase, "How you doin'?"
"First of all, you have to say it like a drag queen," Williams told Cane. According to Williams, the catchphrase came about from her stint on a Philadelphia radio morning show, when a cohost would affect the voice of a gay character named Shantay. None of the other hosts wanted to engage with Shantay, so Williams stepped up with a sassy, "Hey. Shantay, how you doin'?"
"So now it's become my official catchphrase of the show," said Williams, "because what I found through the years, since the beginning of 'How you doin', is that it makes everybody laugh and smile, and it breaks up the room."
Williams also talks about the now-shelved biopic she and her husband began and which celebrity she was recently most nervous about interviewing.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 33 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 55 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 5 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 33 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 39 min ago