WATCH: Wendy Williams on the Origins of 'How You Doin'?'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 21 2012 3:02 PM ET
Wendy Williams sat down with BET.com's Clay Cane to dish on her biopic, the time Halle Berry tapped her breast, and her love for the gays, along with the source of her signature catchphrase, "How you doin'?"
"First of all, you have to say it like a drag queen," Williams told Cane. According to Williams, the catchphrase came about from her stint on a Philadelphia radio morning show, when a cohost would affect the voice of a gay character named Shantay. None of the other hosts wanted to engage with Shantay, so Williams stepped up with a sassy, "Hey. Shantay, how you doin'?"
"So now it's become my official catchphrase of the show," said Williams, "because what I found through the years, since the beginning of 'How you doin', is that it makes everybody laugh and smile, and it breaks up the room."
Williams also talks about the now-shelved biopic she and her husband began and which celebrity she was recently most nervous about interviewing.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM