ONE Archives Exhibit Highlights Queer L.A. Mags Dating Back to the 1940s
BY Neal Broverman
February 02 2013 1:06 PM ET
The Los Angeles Advocate, Vol. 1, No. 3 (November 1967)
The Los Angeles Advocate began as the newsletter of Personal Rights In Defense and Education (PRIDE), a local activist group well known for protesting the LAPD raid of the Black Cat Tavern in 1967. While PRIDE ceased in 1968, The Los Angeles Advocate would go on to be its own independent publication, renamed simply The Advocate in 1969.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Leaked 'The Interview' Scene Puts James Franco in Bed With Kim Jong-Un