BY Alexander Cho
April 11 2008 12:00 AM ET
As the afternoon
progresses into evening, people get up from their
blankets on the grass, wander over to the
shed-turned-makeshift staging area, mingle with
friends, or scarf down a Vietnamese sandwich from a
makeshift Bánh mì stand. Spontaneous, ambisexual
make-out sessions erupt. Puzzled neighbors peer down
And because it
doesn’t really matter how you identify here, there is
a sizable number of female lesbians, male gay men --
even some straight people.
came out, I’d never met someone who was a feminine
queer,” says femme-lesbian-identifying Sarah
Adorable, of Olympia, Wash.-based Scream Club.
“All my role models were butch girls, and
that’s it -- I felt very unaccepted, like I
wasn’t actually a genuine gay person. [Increasingly],
you don’t have to be defined by a ‘he’
or a ‘she’ -- you can accept both, and
you can go back and forth, and maybe the identity you have
right now isn’t the one you’re gonna
As she talks, a
girl with a necktie fashioned out of a maxi-pad walks by.
Samson takes the turntables and, in a wry nod to the crowd,
segues her DJ set into a song that most people here probably
weren’t alive to hear on the radio: Deniece
Williams’s “Let’s Hear it for the
Boy.” The energy is high; the crowd screams and
proceeds to kick up even more backyard dust into the
humid Austin night.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM