The Godfather of Electro-pop
BY Job Brother
June 19 2008 11:00 PM ET
Any plans for a Yaz album of new material? Myself and Alison have discussed the idea. We’ll start off by sitting down and writing some songs on this tour, but we have no real plans to record at the moment.
At certain points in your career you’ve returned to older electronic equipment rather than seeking out the latest advancement. Do you feel like electronic music has already had a golden age? No, no, not at all. I think it’s wide open. In the stuff I write now I try to incorporate the old and the new. And also what’s great is that it’s relatively cheap now. It’s not like the old days where you buy a big ol’ Moog system, which costs a fortune. And there’s people making new sounds all the time. I can’t even imagine what’s going to be happening in the next 10 years.
I was talking to a software company in Berlin a couple days ago, and they asked me what would I like. I said, "What I’d like, really, is to not have to use a mouse -- rather, just think my ideas onto the screen without having to punch things into the computer." That’d be very cool.
The same day, interestingly enough, there was a CNN report about a scientist in Pittsburgh who’s implanted a circuit into a monkey’s brain –- and using only his brain, the monkey could pick out food. It’s for people who’ve had strokes, if they’ve lost use of their arms or legs or something. So I'm thinking, Well, that could be applied to synthesizers as well, so if I want a harsh, dark sound I could just frown and, on the screen, it would be there. That would be very cool.
I can’t believe that Vince Clarke has told me the future of electronic music is monkey brains. I haven’t been drinking, I promise.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM