With Love, Yoko
BY Graham Kolbeins
March 18 2009 11:00 PM ET
A new generation of American activists has felt a surge in
confidence recently after using new media and the Internet to
help them organize and get Barack Obama into the White House.
Do you have any advice to young people about how to go on from
here? How can they continue to promote peace and effect
positive change, outside of getting the right politicians
Imagine Peace is still very necessary in this world of
confusion and violence. Politicians always need the help of
grassroots power, especially that of the youth.
Throughout your career you've found a careful balance
between creating music that's easily accessible to the
mainstream and music that's very experimental, and perhaps more
personal. Do you think it's important for artists with a
message to make their work appeal to popular audiences, even if
it may mean sacrificing some of its uniqueness? Have you ever
made conscious decisions about targeting your work to specific
I take my cue from breathing. I'd like to think that my
work makes people breathe better. The work sometimes is simple,
so it makes people breathe better. Sometimes it's complex,
so it helps people to unwind the strings of complexity binding
them and limiting their freedom. I never pondered if my work
was unique or not. That is not the criteria in which I
Do you think it's more important to find personal happiness
through art, or bring happiness and inspiration to others? Is a
small, quiet life of personal accomplishment less meaningful
than a life of altruism that affects many?
Life is a form of giving. By giving to others, you are giving
yourself as well. Example: By saying "I love you" to
somebody, you are saying it to yourself and to the universe at
the same time, as we are all one. Knowing this is knowing the
secret of life.
-- With love, Yoko
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM