Up Close at Coachella
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
This weekend's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in the Southern California desert had a lineup that included almost every letter in LGBTâ€¦and a healthy dose of same-sex hand-holding and gender-bending.
At the indie-rock music fest, Bob Mould and his band offered up a Saturday set as blistering as the 100-degree weather. Openly gay for years, the Washington, D.C.-based Mould attracted a healthy dose of straight boys to his tent, and offered up songs from his two previous bands, Hüsker Dü and Sugar, as well as solo work.
One half of the Dresden Dolls, bisexual Amanda Palmer, brought the house (or rather, tent) down, when she performed her solo material not long after Mould. Smashing her fingers, and chair, on her keyboard and crowd-surfing into the audience, Palmer connected with her enthusiastic fan base in a way that eluded other Coachella artists.
Particularly anti-audience was the gayish Morrissey, who participated in a strange hour of music on Friday -- he sneered at the audience, briefly walked offstage, and announced he could "smell burning flesh," referring to vendors selling hamburgers and chicken. He followed that up with, "And I hope to God it's human."
On Sunday, Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons stood apart from the rock and electronica acts with a short set of orchestral pop. The transgender artist, looking a bit like Mama Cass in a flowy top with ribbons, played all-new material, which still managed to please the discerning audience.
Look for interviews with some of the gay Coachella artists -- and even some of the straight ones -- on Advocate.com.
Click on next page for more photos.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- A Letter to My Partners
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 6 min 56 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 9 min 57 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 32 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 45 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 58 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 51 sec ago