Pop's New Björk?
BY Neal Broverman
May 05 2009 11:00 PM ET
eccentric, electronica-influenced European pop star on
the scene: 23-year-old Lykke Li. The Swedish singer's star
is rising thanks to a well-received album (
), a fan in Perez Hilton, and a big slot at last
week's Coachella festival. Last week was big for Li in
another way: her song "I'm Good, I'm Gone"
was featured on
. But before middle America heard Li's memorable voice, the
soft-spoken beauty spoke to Advocate.com just hours before she
stepped onto the Coachella stage.
With you, Robyn, and the vampire movie
Let the Right One In
, there seems to be a mini Swedish invasion. Do you feel part
of a Swedish sensibility sweeping America?
I don't really think so because my family, and myself, had such
a different upbringing from the Swedish people (Li grew up
in Portugal), and I've kind of been on the road
always. I've been taking in a lot of Swedish culture, but I
don't feel very Swedish.
What are your musical influences?
My taste is so wide. I think what really shaped me is the
variety of things I've listened to, everything from hip-hop to
jazz to soul. Right now I'm listening to lots of doo-wop
Is there any way to describe your music in a sentence or
I always see my music as quite cinematic; the soundtrack to a
really interesting movie.
Your videos are amazing. Who comes up with the concepts?
They're from me, they're always from me. I'm very visual in the
way I think.
I know Perez Hilton championed you a while ago. Was that a
Um, I don't really know -- I mean, I don't know so much about
Is it too early to start thinking of a second album?
It's in my head. I'm doing some investigation because my
music always comes from my life experiences, so apart from all
the touring I'm going to have to gather some more meat, you
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 47 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 47 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM