Tweeting the Jackson Funeral
July 06 2009 11:00 PM ET
Of the millions who tried to get tickets to Michael Jackson's gigantic funeral, Advocate News Editor Andrew Harmon was one of the few to actually win a pair. He kept us posted through the day with Tweets from the Staples Center.
- Large swath of LA awakened at 5:20 am to sound of news helicopters bound for Forest Lawn. It begins
- Jackson's body to take center stage at memorial
- Cable news stages full-throttle hate parade this morning for Jackson-bashing Rep. Peter King (R-NY).
- Stretch of the 101 -- quite possibly world's busiest freeway -- temp shut down in encino for funeral procession.
- Inside memorial perimeter: fans in rhinestone-studded funereal black, iPod speakers blasting "Thriller." LAPD cavalcade on horseback.
- Scattered protesters outside barricades..."NAMBLA Salutes Michael" among the posterboard/Sharpie sentiments.
- Obese Gene Simmons lookalike shouting at international media...who seem more than grateful for the freakshow footage
- Crowds on surrounding street currently in the hundreds...not thousands or 1 million as anticipated
- Smooth criminal surrealism: LAPD officer tells excited fans to "clear this area." Calm and orderly inside...
- Funeral procession has reached Staples Center, memorial ETA 10 minutes.
- Quiet inside, save the occasional "We love you Michael!" still waiting...
- Ushers moving to fill empty seats, overflow viewing at Nokia half full
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out