30 Years Young
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 01 2009 12:00 AM ET
The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles kicked off its 30th year with a show at the Walt Disney Concert Hall that was as touching as it was exciting. Joley Fisher, the emcee for the evening, took the reigns to drive the show through the type of concert you would expect from the a chorus of such caliber; songs ranging from Spanish ballads, show tunes, and spirituals, all with messages to fight for equality.
The concert kicked off with a choreographed arrangement of the prologue from Ragtime, a jazzy, expository act, chronicling the cultural shifts at the turn of the last century. Christine Chavez, activist and granddaughter of pioneer Cesar Chavez introduced "Solidaridad," and "Cancion con Todos" both songs that stress inclusiveness, and fighting for justice. Right after came "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," introduced by Martin Luther King Jr.'s niece, Donzaleigh Abernathy. She told the audience about upbringing in the civil rights era, and her father, Ralph David Abernathy, working with her uncle to spread the message of non-violence and equality.
"My father, and my uncle would have been proud to have stood here today to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles," she said to roaring applause.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 41 min 29 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 49 min 40 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 53 min 17 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 16 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM