30 Years Young
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 31 2009 11:00 PM ET
The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles kicked off its 30th year with a show at the Walt Disney Concert Hall that was as touching as it was exciting. Joley Fisher, the emcee for the evening, took the reigns to drive the show through the type of concert you would expect from the a chorus of such caliber; songs ranging from Spanish ballads, show tunes, and spirituals, all with messages to fight for equality.
The concert kicked off with a choreographed arrangement of the prologue from Ragtime, a jazzy, expository act, chronicling the cultural shifts at the turn of the last century. Christine Chavez, activist and granddaughter of pioneer Cesar Chavez introduced "Solidaridad," and "Cancion con Todos" both songs that stress inclusiveness, and fighting for justice. Right after came "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," introduced by Martin Luther King Jr.'s niece, Donzaleigh Abernathy. She told the audience about upbringing in the civil rights era, and her father, Ralph David Abernathy, working with her uncle to spread the message of non-violence and equality.
"My father, and my uncle would have been proud to have stood here today to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles," she said to roaring applause.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 24 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 56 min 19 sec ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 5 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 21 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 21 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 3 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM