BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2009 4:35 PM ET
By now it’s a given — pop icon (almost always a girl) releases a hit single, it gets in the hands of the gays, and before you go searching for remixes on LimeWire, somebody, somewhere, has uploaded their own version.
Fans have been singing along to their favorite songs and uploading the results to YouTube for years. But the video tribute — or, in some cases, step-for-step remake — is a relatively new phenomenon that exploded when Shane Mercado (followed by a slew of imitators) took on Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies.” But Mercado’s success didn’t begin and end on YouTube — talk show stints and even a red carpet date with Sasha Fierce herself followed.
And so did the gays.
Click to the next page to watch highlights from the many tributes, including songs by Miley Cyrus, Whitney Houston, Shakira, and Britney Spears. Some are goood, some questionable, but all of them keep us coming back for more.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 16 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM