BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2009 5:35 PM ET
“Single Ladies” — Beyoncé
And, of course, no collection of video tributes would be complete without the one that started the craze — Shane Mercado’s “Single Ladies.”
Mercado even got to meet Beyoncé — on the red carpet for her film Cadillac Records.
“She came up to me and she was like, ‘Are you the guy with that hot outfit? You’re very talented.’”
The video even led to some dance jobs and club appearances — and a paid gig to teach an entire town the moves.
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Kids React to Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- Excerpt: Trading a Fab NYC Life for Tennessee in Home Is a Fire