BY Brandon Voss
October 29 2009 12:35 PM ET
The Elvis-like lead in Broadway’s All Shook Up who memorably portrayed gay rugger Mark Bingham in the Oscar-nominated film United 93, Cheyenne Jackson was rocking roller skates and short-shorts in the surprise Broadway hit Xanadu when I interviewed him for The Advocate’s April 2008 cover story. That November, Out magazine named him “Entertainer of the Year,” but 2009 has shaped up to be even more successful for the openly gay actor and activist.
Reprising the role he played in the City Center Encores! production earlier this year, Jackson currently stars as cocky sharecropper Woody Mahoney in the Broadway revival of the 1947 classic Finian’s Rainbow at the St. James Theatre. The Power of Two, a studio recording of his critically acclaimed cabaret show with out Grammy-nominee Michael Feinstein at Manhattan’s famed Feinstein’s at Loews Regency this past summer, is available November 3.
Though tight-lipped on his upcoming recurring role on NBC’s 30 Rock, the towering 34-year-old talent did open up to Advocate.com about his foot fetishist following, his inharmonious Glee experience, and his lost beefcake photo shoot with Bruce Weber.
Advocate.com: What kind of response did you get to your Advocate cover story?
Cheyenne Jackson: It was definitely a biggie and I know it meant a lot to people. I expected it to make a splash, but I didn’t expect it to open up such a great dialogue. I got so much mail and feedback about it, and probably every other day I’ll see a copy at the stage door. I was very happy with how it came out.
One particular part of that interview got a lot of attention on the blogs, didn’t it?
The Popeye story? Yeah, I got a lot of shit about that, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I think my mom would’ve preferred that I left that part out, and a few people were like, “Ew, that’s T.M.I.” But you know what? That’s how I roll. It made me very popular in the foot fetish world, which I didn’t even really know was a thing.
Your publicists at the time tried to steer me away from focusing too much on your sexuality, so they obviously had some issues with the article. Are you still with the same representation?
No, I’m actually not.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 9 min 29 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 12 min 23 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 22 min 54 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 24 min 17 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 30 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 35 min 22 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas' 1 hour 22 min ago