BY David Michael Conner
November 18 2009 1:35 PM ET
You’re quite different once you really listen to the music.
We can draw comparisons and you can see that, even if we are from different cities and we have different lives, we’re in link in some ways, and that’s great. The thing with France, you know, when you have some person who likes your music, you are in link with them because you understand their personality and their music. That’s why music is beautiful, because you have to share it with different groups of people.
One thing that sets you apart is that you’re openly gay. Was that ever in question for you, whether you would talk about that in public as a musician?
One time a journalist asked me that question and I was like, yeah, and what else? Because it’s not a problem for me. It’s a part of my personality. I don’t want to be a ... a role model. It’s just a part of my personality and it’s important to be sincere with the people, and some people do not like this because they are ... homophobic or, I don’t know, they don’t respect each other? But I don’t care. [Laughs] There are a lot of people who are really open-minded, I think, and I really trust in that. Some people are straight and they’re open-minded, some people are gay, some others are black, some others are big, skinny, tall. [Laughs] And yeah, I just do music for people who are open-minded. Or who just like listening to the music; that’s the most important thing, I think. And some people just forget that. They just talk about some shallow stuff, some superficial stuff. It doesn’t matter if you are gay or black or I don’t know what ... the most important is the music.
It seems important to you that people know that the music is what matters most to you.
Yes, I think it’s important to be sincere with the people. I think that some artists are not sincere because they want to be attractive for boys and for girls. But it’s important to be sincere, because when you are sincere with your music, you are a human being and you express yourself. It’s not like when you are acting in a movie and you’re a different character. Because the music, it’s just true, so you have to be sincere with the people and I don’t want to lie to people, and that’s all. And maybe I’m going to be straight in 10 years and ... but I don’t know [laughs], now it’s like this, and that’s all.
It’s really hard that some people are vain ... I think it’s important to be true because nobody does that. Lots of people are going to be narrow-minded ... lots of people are going to be scared to say they are gay because they say, you know, nobody say that I am gay! They are scared. But lots of artists are open about that — Boy George, George Michael — so it’s cool.
Do you think there’s any more or less pressure to be open about your sexuality in France or Europe than in the U.S.?
No, I think it’s the same all over the world. I just want to do songs for everybody. You can do that in France. You can be gay, you can be black, you can be ... I don’t know, another person, and you can do songs for everybody. Not just for a community or something like that. And right now it’s like this in our society — if it’s not for you, then it’s boring.
No, no, très bien.
You don’t speak French, do you?
Un peu. I took French in school…
No, no! Why didn’t you tell me that? Next time you have to speak French!
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2 hours 24 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 40 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM