BY Advocate Contributors
December 17 2009 10:25 AM ET
Beth Ditto is sporting what is best described as the coolest bright-red bowl cut ever. Which is no surprise. The lead singer of Gossip, the funky-punk band from Portland, Ore., is known for her loud fashion, powerful voice, and plus size.
“I’ve been called a rockin’ roly-poly,” Ditto says, “I like that.”
The out singer, 28, in age and likely in size, makes for an unlikely fashionista: Ditto recently designed a plus-size clothing collection and serves as the muse for top designers like Alexander McQueen.
She’s appeared naked in NME, which also named her the coolest person in rock, and strips onstage. Ditto has been dubbed a role model for any gay girl who’s ever wanted to front a band or been told “but you have such a pretty face.”
“I consider myself an R-O-L-L model,” she laughs, in true fashion form wearing an H&M belted black dress at a SoCal show.
Gossip took the stage December 11 in San Diego as part of the W Hotels Wonderlust Live Concert Series, a partnership with Sony Music featuring performances by award-winning and emerging artists.
The punk trio — Ditto, Brace Paine, and Hannah Billie — played hits from their 2006 breakthrough album Standing in the Way of Control as well as covers like Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do With It” and Queen’s “We Are the Champions,” no doubt a testament to the band’s versatility and Ditto’s effortless bravado.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 13 min 15 sec ago
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 54 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM