BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2010 5:50 PM ET
Where does the title come from — Realism?
Well, it’s a description of the production style, as is Distortion.
Is there anything else more to it or ...
it doesn’t intersect with the lyrics, if that’s what you mean. Somebody
pointed out to me a few days ago that an unusual number of mythological
characters are on the album, so there’s actually less realism than
Gotcha. And you’re taking the album on the road?
Yeah. We’re probably just doing half the songs from Realism and a lot of older songs.
And as a performer, what do you prefer? Singing live or recording or writing?
Well, performing live is my least favorite aspect of being a musician.
there are thousands of people staring at you and you can’t just walk off
and go to the bathroom. You have to stand there doing what you plan to
do for two hours. And it’s pretty much the same thing every night.
Notice that I’m putting this in second-person perspective, which is
what people do in interviews when they’re saying uncomfortable truths
about themselves. I particularly don’t like touring. It would be nice
if you could then go home after a show ... but you can’t.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World