BY Brandon Voss
March 11 2010 2:05 PM ET
International club DJ, record label owner, and remixer to the stars who famously played Madonna’s wedding, Tracy Young became a tabloid target earlier this month when UsMagazine.com reported that she and Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kim Zolciak have been romantically involved for the past three months. Young, an out lesbian who met Zolciak when remixing her dance single “Tardy for the Party,” finally spills the tea on whether or not she’s really Zolciak’s “Big Momma.”
The Advocate: Let’s get right to it — are you dating or have you ever dated Kim Zolciak?
Tracy Young: Kim and I have a very complicated relationship. I met her in L.A. in December to do the “Tardy for the Party” remix, which has been released on my label, and through that working process we got really close.
How close is close?
I’m not at liberty to say all the personal details, but we have a lot of similarities and a very strong connection. She’s a great friend and I adore her, but it’s kind of complicated.
How did your professional relationship begin?
I was sent “Tardy for the Party” back in August by somebody who had worked with Kim. Her people reached out to me to do the remix, and I wanted to. Kim and I never spoke about it or met until December. I’d maybe seen Kim’s show once, but I definitely didn’t know her story line with Big Poppa or anything. When I met her at her hotel in L.A. to talk about the remix, I just met a person who made me laugh and who connected with me. Now I’ve obviously gone back and looked at some of the episodes. Had I seen the show before and known about that story line, I don’t know if I would’ve gone to meet Kim that night — hindsight is 20/20 — but I definitely didn’t go to the hotel to sleep with her.
How do you improve upon pop perfection like “Tardy for the Party,” Tracy?
That song is a hit. I was in radio for nine years — I was the music director at a radio station in Washington, D.C. — and my job was to find hits. When I first heard the song, did I think it was a Whitney Houston song or whatever? No. But it’s catchy, cute, and appropriate for the dance floor.
So what did you think when you saw that item on UsMagazine.com — presented as more of a fact than a rumor?
I don’t know where that came from. It blew my mind. I don’t know who leaked that, but I wish I did because it would probably help me with some of my confusion. I’m an openly gay woman and Kim is obviously a straight woman.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 41 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 38 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM