BY Brandon Voss
March 11 2010 2:05 PM ET
International club DJ, record label owner, and remixer to the stars who famously played Madonna’s wedding, Tracy Young became a tabloid target earlier this month when UsMagazine.com reported that she and Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kim Zolciak have been romantically involved for the past three months. Young, an out lesbian who met Zolciak when remixing her dance single “Tardy for the Party,” finally spills the tea on whether or not she’s really Zolciak’s “Big Momma.”
The Advocate: Let’s get right to it — are you dating or have you ever dated Kim Zolciak?
Tracy Young: Kim and I have a very complicated relationship. I met her in L.A. in December to do the “Tardy for the Party” remix, which has been released on my label, and through that working process we got really close.
How close is close?
I’m not at liberty to say all the personal details, but we have a lot of similarities and a very strong connection. She’s a great friend and I adore her, but it’s kind of complicated.
How did your professional relationship begin?
I was sent “Tardy for the Party” back in August by somebody who had worked with Kim. Her people reached out to me to do the remix, and I wanted to. Kim and I never spoke about it or met until December. I’d maybe seen Kim’s show once, but I definitely didn’t know her story line with Big Poppa or anything. When I met her at her hotel in L.A. to talk about the remix, I just met a person who made me laugh and who connected with me. Now I’ve obviously gone back and looked at some of the episodes. Had I seen the show before and known about that story line, I don’t know if I would’ve gone to meet Kim that night — hindsight is 20/20 — but I definitely didn’t go to the hotel to sleep with her.
How do you improve upon pop perfection like “Tardy for the Party,” Tracy?
That song is a hit. I was in radio for nine years — I was the music director at a radio station in Washington, D.C. — and my job was to find hits. When I first heard the song, did I think it was a Whitney Houston song or whatever? No. But it’s catchy, cute, and appropriate for the dance floor.
So what did you think when you saw that item on UsMagazine.com — presented as more of a fact than a rumor?
I don’t know where that came from. It blew my mind. I don’t know who leaked that, but I wish I did because it would probably help me with some of my confusion. I’m an openly gay woman and Kim is obviously a straight woman.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 9 min 43 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 26 min 18 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 44 min 18 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 46 min 25 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 9 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 50 min ago