BY Lesley Goldberg
March 16 2010 10:15 AM ET
The Internet has been ablaze with news of the Dakota Fanning–Kristen Stewart kiss from the movie. How much of what’s in the film is accurate?
Oh, it’s all accurate. Joan and I were best friends back in the ’70s. Back in the ’70s, David Bowie and Elton John had come out — even Mick Jagger was talking about it. It’s what was happening back then. There wasn’t any stigma. There wasn’t any kind of prejudice like there is now about that. It was great, and Joan being my best friend at the time, we just had a lot of fun.
How did you get into chain saw carving?
It was just a fluke. I was working in wood at the time, doing relief carving, and was driving over to Malibu beach and saw a couple of guys chain-saw carving on the side of the road and I couldn’t get it out of my head. It just kept irking me. The next weekend I went over there. I talked to the owner, and he looked at some of my artwork, and I went to work there the next day. And he taught me how to not kill myself with the saw, and for that I’ll be forever grateful! [Laughs]
What new projects are you working on?
I’ve been working on the book, and there are a couple of other irons in the fire. I’m still carving, which keeps me very sane in this wonderful craziness. And I’m going to go in the studio and I’m going to do some shows this summer. It’ll be fun. I’ve got my kid up there in the band with me, which is a blast. He was giving Lita [Ford] a run for her money when he was 15.
Will you be touring?
I’m going to be doing some shows, but I don’t know to what extent. But I am going to be doing some shows.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM