BY Lesley Goldberg
March 16 2010 10:15 AM ET
The Internet has been ablaze with news of the Dakota Fanning–Kristen Stewart kiss from the movie. How much of what’s in the film is accurate?
Oh, it’s all accurate. Joan and I were best friends back in the ’70s. Back in the ’70s, David Bowie and Elton John had come out — even Mick Jagger was talking about it. It’s what was happening back then. There wasn’t any stigma. There wasn’t any kind of prejudice like there is now about that. It was great, and Joan being my best friend at the time, we just had a lot of fun.
How did you get into chain saw carving?
It was just a fluke. I was working in wood at the time, doing relief carving, and was driving over to Malibu beach and saw a couple of guys chain-saw carving on the side of the road and I couldn’t get it out of my head. It just kept irking me. The next weekend I went over there. I talked to the owner, and he looked at some of my artwork, and I went to work there the next day. And he taught me how to not kill myself with the saw, and for that I’ll be forever grateful! [Laughs]
What new projects are you working on?
I’ve been working on the book, and there are a couple of other irons in the fire. I’m still carving, which keeps me very sane in this wonderful craziness. And I’m going to go in the studio and I’m going to do some shows this summer. It’ll be fun. I’ve got my kid up there in the band with me, which is a blast. He was giving Lita [Ford] a run for her money when he was 15.
Will you be touring?
I’m going to be doing some shows, but I don’t know to what extent. But I am going to be doing some shows.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 17 min 29 sec ago
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 1 hour 11 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 14 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 34 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM