BY Advocate.com Editors
April 02 2010 10:45 AM ET
Expand the Focus of the Ricky Martin Foundation
Martin has made children his life’s cause, and his Ricky Martin Foundation is extremely influential in helping at-risk kids around the world. In particular, the foundation has worked to combat human trafficking and child sex tourism, influencing laws and policies.
Last year Martin made his support for at-risk gay and lesbian teens known when his foundation helped to fund a youth center in his native Puerto Rico. When he came out earlier this week, he implied it was his children who inspired the announcement.
Because youth causes are such a part of Martin’s life, it would make sense for him to focus his energy on fighting for the rights of gay youths around the world — particularly in Puerto Rico where, last year, 19-year-old gay man Jorge Steven López Mercado was found decapitated on the side of a road.
Martin’s name commands significant respect in Puerto Rico — and, for that matter, most Spanish-speaking parts of the world — and he has the power to push for significant change and attract media attention to crimes against gay youths.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign