BY Advocate.com Editors
April 02 2010 9:45 AM ET
Expand the Focus of the Ricky Martin Foundation
Martin has made children his life’s cause, and his Ricky Martin Foundation is extremely influential in helping at-risk kids around the world. In particular, the foundation has worked to combat human trafficking and child sex tourism, influencing laws and policies.
Last year Martin made his support for at-risk gay and lesbian teens known when his foundation helped to fund a youth center in his native Puerto Rico. When he came out earlier this week, he implied it was his children who inspired the announcement.
Because youth causes are such a part of Martin’s life, it would make sense for him to focus his energy on fighting for the rights of gay youths around the world — particularly in Puerto Rico where, last year, 19-year-old gay man Jorge Steven López Mercado was found decapitated on the side of a road.
Martin’s name commands significant respect in Puerto Rico — and, for that matter, most Spanish-speaking parts of the world — and he has the power to push for significant change and attract media attention to crimes against gay youths.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'