BY Advocate.com Editors
April 02 2010 10:45 AM ET
Expand the Focus of the Ricky Martin Foundation
Martin has made children his life’s cause, and his Ricky Martin Foundation is extremely influential in helping at-risk kids around the world. In particular, the foundation has worked to combat human trafficking and child sex tourism, influencing laws and policies.
Last year Martin made his support for at-risk gay and lesbian teens known when his foundation helped to fund a youth center in his native Puerto Rico. When he came out earlier this week, he implied it was his children who inspired the announcement.
Because youth causes are such a part of Martin’s life, it would make sense for him to focus his energy on fighting for the rights of gay youths around the world — particularly in Puerto Rico where, last year, 19-year-old gay man Jorge Steven López Mercado was found decapitated on the side of a road.
Martin’s name commands significant respect in Puerto Rico — and, for that matter, most Spanish-speaking parts of the world — and he has the power to push for significant change and attract media attention to crimes against gay youths.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 22 min 24 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM