BY Advocate.com Editors
April 02 2010 10:45 AM ET
Give a Speech or Two About Gay Rights
Ricky Martin brings something to the table our gay and lesbian leaders are sorely lacking ... influence with Spanish-speaking voters. Though Latino voters in California did reject Proposition 8, it was by a narrow margin ... Martin’s influence could have helped to widen the gap.
And in Mexico, where same-sex marriage and adoption are both being widely debated (not to mention Argentina, where marriage is on the cusp of becoming a nationwide reality), Martin has the power to change minds and reach voters. The fact that he happens to be well spoken and educated on issues of human rights makes him all the more qualified.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'