Angelo Garcia: "I Came Out Before Ricky"
BY Ross von Metzke
June 23 2010 5:10 PM ET
You’ve recorded albums and taken long breaks in between. Why do you keep coming back?
I can’t see my life without music. It’s something that, regardless of whether I ever become a huge star or not, I will continue to write songs. It’s something I can’t shake. It’s in my blood.
So when you’re not singing, what are you doing?
This is going to surprise you, but I love to work out. [Laughs] I’m very outdoorsy. After my go-go dancing days, I got over the nightclub scene. When I go to a nightclub, it feels like work. I love to go to Muir Woods. My partner and I like to do silly things. Last weekend we went to a water park. I felt like I was 10 old again.
You weren’t much older than that when you did Menudo.
[Laughs] No, I wasn’t.
Looking back on that time and kind of seeing what’s happened to Ricky and with his career, when he came out, were you surprised? Not that he was gay, but that he said it?
I was so proud. Ricky Martin has the kind of popularity that can change minds. People like Ricky, Ellen ... people that are gay that have a mainstream appeal ... people like that can make a community realize, “You know. We’re not much different than you.” We’re all the same. So when he came out, I was so proud. If more artists like him — and there are so many — were brave enough ... because there’s still a lot of hatred. I learned that when I read some of the comments on my interviews. In the Latin interviews there was still a lot of hate. He has the power to help change that, and I’m so proud that he’s going to be able to do it.
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 7 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 30 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 57 min 6 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 59 min 58 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 31 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 32 min ago
- Travel London's Gay Travel Expo: Pool Party, Models, Giant Shoes 2 hours 14 min ago