Before “Born This Way”
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2011 4:15 AM ET
1. “I Am What I Am” by Albin in La Cage Aux Folles, 1983
This first act finale, written by out composer Jerry Herman for his landmark drag queen musical, became a joyful dance hit for Gloria Gaynor, and remains the ultimate battle cry for acceptance.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'