Before “Born This Way”
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2011 4:15 AM ET
1. “I Am What I Am” by Albin in La Cage Aux Folles, 1983
This first act finale, written by out composer Jerry Herman for his landmark drag queen musical, became a joyful dance hit for Gloria Gaynor, and remains the ultimate battle cry for acceptance.
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Boxer Manny Pacquiao Denies Making Antigay Remarks
- Op-ed: Help Decide the Future of the LGBT Movement
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Hilarious Take on This Week's Supreme Court Arguments