Before “Born This Way”
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2011 4:15 AM ET
1. “I Am What I Am” by Albin in La Cage Aux Folles, 1983
This first act finale, written by out composer Jerry Herman for his landmark drag queen musical, became a joyful dance hit for Gloria Gaynor, and remains the ultimate battle cry for acceptance.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City