You Should Be Dancing
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 19 2011 3:10 PM ET
Is there a period in recent history that's been more unfairly maligned than the 1970s? The decade that gave us the Watergate scandal, the oil crisis, Margaret Thatcher, and the leisure suit also introduced the liberating music genre we call disco. While cynics snickered at the simple, anthemic lyrics and the thumping, syncopated beats, patrons packed nightclubs around the globe and across the country (New York’s lamented Paradise Garage and notorious Studio 54 were probably the best known) to embrace the sound and revel in the reflected light from the giant metallic balls that hung from the ceiling.
With Hot Stuff, her knowing reflection on the era, Alice Echols reminds us that the '70s was, in fact, a decade of revolution and disco music helped galvanize gay people, giving them an exhilarating sense of community on the dance floor.
As the '70s came to a close the popularity of the genre began to wane and headlines proclaimed "disco is dead." Pshaw! Following are some of the most indelible, enduring queer dance anthems that still serve as a call to put on your boogie shoes.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 1 hour 31 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 1 hour 32 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM