Olivia’s Magic Spell
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 26 2011 1:30 PM ET
The video was also very progressive for the time, as it featured two gay couples holding hands at the end. Was there any controversy surrounding this decision?
Oh, I’m sure there was. Brian Grant was the director, and I think it was his idea. I’m actually seeing him soon for the first time in 30 years and I’m going to ask him, because I don’t remember how it came about and it was such a funny twist. It’s not so radical now, but it was then.
Your new film A Few Best Men sounds fun. Who do you play in it?
I play the mother of the bride, which is interesting because my daughter is engaged to be married, so it’s art imitating life. It’s good practice, but I hope Chloe’s wedding doesn’t go like this one. [Laughs] It’s a very funny movie. It’s written by the man who wrote Death at a Funeral and directed by Stephan Elliott, who made Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. So the combination of those two people is pretty wild.
With both real and cinematic weddings on your agenda, and now that New York has made same-sex marriage legal, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on marriage equality.
I sang at gay pride in New York the night after that was announced, so it was an incredible night to experience. The air was electric, and there was so much excitement in the air from the couples. I think love is love. You find it when you can. It’s wonderful that it can be recognized. People who have had long relationships and care about each and take care of each other should have the right to be married.
For more information visit Olivia Newton-John.com. Watch the video for the remix of “Magic” below and other favorite Newton-John moments on the following pages.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 28 min 41 sec ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 51 min 42 sec ago
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 1 hour 33 min ago
- Love and Sex Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something 1 hour 35 min ago
- Media WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 1 hour 55 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 1 hour 58 min ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 2 hours 25 min ago