Olivia’s Magic Spell
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 26 2011 12:30 PM ET
The video was also very progressive for the time, as it featured two gay couples holding hands at the end. Was there any controversy surrounding this decision?
Oh, I’m sure there was. Brian Grant was the director, and I think it was his idea. I’m actually seeing him soon for the first time in 30 years and I’m going to ask him, because I don’t remember how it came about and it was such a funny twist. It’s not so radical now, but it was then.
Your new film A Few Best Men sounds fun. Who do you play in it?
I play the mother of the bride, which is interesting because my daughter is engaged to be married, so it’s art imitating life. It’s good practice, but I hope Chloe’s wedding doesn’t go like this one. [Laughs] It’s a very funny movie. It’s written by the man who wrote Death at a Funeral and directed by Stephan Elliott, who made Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. So the combination of those two people is pretty wild.
With both real and cinematic weddings on your agenda, and now that New York has made same-sex marriage legal, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on marriage equality.
I sang at gay pride in New York the night after that was announced, so it was an incredible night to experience. The air was electric, and there was so much excitement in the air from the couples. I think love is love. You find it when you can. It’s wonderful that it can be recognized. People who have had long relationships and care about each and take care of each other should have the right to be married.
For more information visit Olivia Newton-John.com. Watch the video for the remix of “Magic” below and other favorite Newton-John moments on the following pages.
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 24 min 7 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 1 hour 24 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM