Chely Wright Weds Girlfriend
BY Trudy Ring
August 21 2011 1:55 PM ET
Country singer Chely Wright, who came out as lesbian last year, married Lauren Blitzer in an interfaith ceremony Saturday at Blitzer’s aunt’s home in Connecticut.
Wright met Blitzer, an LGBT rights activist, just two weeks after she came out. Saturday’s ceremony was officiated by both a minister and a rabbi because Wright is Christian and Blitzer is Jewish, People reports.
Wright, 40, and Blitzer, 30, both wore white wedding gowns but decided to forgo veils because, Wright told People, “We like our hair too much!”
More than 200 guests attended the wedding and a reception featuring barbecue from New York restaurant Blue Smoke and music by a DJ. “Bands at weddings make me nervous,” joked musician Wright, who also said the food was “Lauren’s idea” — Wright does not eat meat.
Wright also stressed to People the advantages of coming out: “The freedom of being out and open about who I am allowed me to find and fall in love with Lauren — the most amazing woman I've ever known.”
- A Letter to My Partners
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Commentary Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 23 min 9 sec ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 2 hours 38 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM