Chely Wright Weds Girlfriend
BY Trudy Ring
August 21 2011 1:55 PM ET
Country singer Chely Wright, who came out as lesbian last year, married Lauren Blitzer in an interfaith ceremony Saturday at Blitzer’s aunt’s home in Connecticut.
Wright met Blitzer, an LGBT rights activist, just two weeks after she came out. Saturday’s ceremony was officiated by both a minister and a rabbi because Wright is Christian and Blitzer is Jewish, People reports.
Wright, 40, and Blitzer, 30, both wore white wedding gowns but decided to forgo veils because, Wright told People, “We like our hair too much!”
More than 200 guests attended the wedding and a reception featuring barbecue from New York restaurant Blue Smoke and music by a DJ. “Bands at weddings make me nervous,” joked musician Wright, who also said the food was “Lauren’s idea” — Wright does not eat meat.
Wright also stressed to People the advantages of coming out: “The freedom of being out and open about who I am allowed me to find and fall in love with Lauren — the most amazing woman I've ever known.”
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word