Chely Wright Weds Girlfriend
BY Trudy Ring
August 21 2011 1:55 PM ET
Country singer Chely Wright, who came out as lesbian last year, married Lauren Blitzer in an interfaith ceremony Saturday at Blitzer’s aunt’s home in Connecticut.
Wright met Blitzer, an LGBT rights activist, just two weeks after she came out. Saturday’s ceremony was officiated by both a minister and a rabbi because Wright is Christian and Blitzer is Jewish, People reports.
Wright, 40, and Blitzer, 30, both wore white wedding gowns but decided to forgo veils because, Wright told People, “We like our hair too much!”
More than 200 guests attended the wedding and a reception featuring barbecue from New York restaurant Blue Smoke and music by a DJ. “Bands at weddings make me nervous,” joked musician Wright, who also said the food was “Lauren’s idea” — Wright does not eat meat.
Wright also stressed to People the advantages of coming out: “The freedom of being out and open about who I am allowed me to find and fall in love with Lauren — the most amazing woman I've ever known.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM