Kristin Chenoweth Has Got Your Back
BY Winston Gieseke
September 06 2011 4:00 AM ET
How do you respond to people who think your pro-gay attitude is a contradiction to your faith?
I say, “I don’t judge you for your opinions, so please don’t judge me for mine.” I’m not out to tell people they’re wrong. I’m just here to say what I believe.
Do you think Christians get a bad rap?
Yeah, I think we do it to ourselves. But I also think there are a lot of Christians who believe like me. My family is very much like me. But I did grow up in the Bible belt — and you know what comes with that. My Grandma Chenoweth told me something when I was growing up. My [gay] best friend — I’ve talked about him many times, his name’s Denny. I asked my Grandma Chenoweth, “How can it be that he’s going to hell? I just don’t think that correct.” And she said, “Well, Kris, I read the Bible like I eat fish: I take the meat, and it serves me well, but I don’t choke on the bone.”
It is interesting. And I think she was on to something. “I take the meat that serves me well, but I don’t choke on the bone.” I read my Bible and I pray and all of that — I really do. But at the same time, I don’t think being gay is a sin. Period.
A lot of people cheered last year when you responded to that Newsweek rant about Sean Hayes and openly gay actors. What kind of backlash resulted from your comments?
Most of the feedback was positive, to be honest with you. But I did read online that some people were disappointed to hear that I felt that way. And that makes me sad. But what can I tell you? I’m sorry if somebody is offended by what I say, but it’s the truth of how I feel.
What sort of gay deliciousness can we look forward to on Good Christian Belles?
[Laughs] Well, you know there are always people of faith that battle this and think that it’s wrong. I’ve struggled with that. You might see that on the show. And I love that [the show’s creator] Bobby Harling is dealing with it. It makes me happy.
Last question: What’s on your iPod these days?
Oh, gosh, I just love Dierks Bentley. I’m listening to him a lot. And I’m kind of in love with Lady Antebellum still. And Little Big Town. Those are my big ones right now. But I also like Eminem, so what are you gonna do? [Laughs]
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 27 min 8 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM