Pop Star Activists Tackle LGBT Bullying With Videos
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 09 2011 3:45 PM ET
So 14-year-old Crinkle has channeled her 15 minutes of fame into causes she most cared about. She started That Girl in Pink Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness, involvement, and support for causes that affect kids like cyber bullying, dating violence, depression, eating disorders, and LGBT support. It’s not a surprise for the kid who’s already written a book for kids on how to handle cyber bullying, That Girl in Pink’s Internet Survival Guide .
Crinkle has just released her own hit viral single, “Can You See Me Now?” She wrote the song after reading what other teens were divulging about their lives at sixbillionsecrets.com and recorded it with music producers who’ve worked with Christina Aguilera and Rihanna. Now all proceeds go to three teen charities: The Trevor Project, To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA), and GLSEN.
Another young musician released an even more diverse anti-bullying video earlier this year: Holly Elle’s “Freak” offers a decidedly more grown up flavor but features a fascinating and provocative mix of LGBT kids and others who are marginalized like a little persons, an amputee, a fat chick. Already a small viral hit, “Freak” was penned in response to the increase in bully-related suicides throughout the country — and aimed at increasing awareness of the epidemic.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Film God Loves Uganda Makes Oscar Doc Shortlist 18 min 17 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' 23 min 49 sec ago
- Here To Inspire WATCH: Hot Naked Gay Men Jello Wrestling in Sexy, NSFW HIV Testing Ad 31 min 1 sec ago
- Film How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS 46 min 55 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Utah's Marriage Ban Faces Court Challenge Today 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel Discovering the Other Baja: La Paz 1 hour 44 min ago
- Politics Dick Cheney 'Suprised' By Mary's 'Attack' Following Sister Liz's Insult to Mary's Marriage 1 hour 52 min ago