God-Des and She: Hip Hop Hot
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
October 13 2011 4:00 AM ET
God-des: Being out and being visible is the single most important thing that every LGBT person can do. The more our neighbors, co-workers, schoolmates, teachers, friends and so on know who we are and like us, the more tolerant they will become.
Who are some acts that currently inspire you two as performers?
God-des: K'nann, Florence and the Machine, Adele, Mumford and Sons, BOB, Scissor Sisters.
Who are you two listening to right now?
God-des: K'nann, old school hip-hop, Florence and the Machine, Lovers, Lupe Fiasco.
After moving to New York City together in 2004, both of you took odd jobs to support your aspiring careers. Have you reached success at a level where music and performing supports you?
God-des: Yes, thank God! It's been a long road since we were slicing meat and selling beer in New York. We have been full-time touring musicians since 2006. And that is because of our awesome fans who always come to our shows and play our music for their friends and co-workers. Thanks homies!
If not music is there another profession you could see yourself in?
She: I would be a chef and God-des would be working for dog rescue organizations.
Do you see an increase in the acceptance for LGBT performers in the mainstream entertainment industry?
God-des: Yes, we do see a shift. I think people just want to hear good music. Most people don't care who is performing it, they just want to relate to it.
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 23 min 28 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 2 hours 11 min ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 2 hours 41 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 2:40 PM
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 2:39 PM