Porcelain Black: Black in the Saddle
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
December 13 2011 7:18 PM ET
Ever since her debut single, “This Is What Rock N’ Roll Looks Like,” pop-rock singer-songwriter Porcelain Black has been wowing LGBT audiences with her fierce, raspy vocals, two-tone hair, and bad-girl attitude. She’s released a handful of singles while fans wait for her new album (to be released in early 2012). She toured with Nicki Minaj and Travis Barker, appeared in videos for Swizz Beatz and Jeffree Star, and made her television debut on Late Night With David Letterman Show last July. Now the rocking chick in killer platforms —whose newest release, “Naughty Naughty” (2101 Records/Universal Republic), hits iTunes today — talks to The Advocate about her hairstylist dad, being a runaway teen, and whether or not she kisses girls too.
The Advocate: You’ve said everything you do is a mix of light and dark. Has it always been that way, even during childhood?
Porcelain Black: I’m the same person now that I was, seriously, when I was 5. I’ve always said what’s on my mind and went against the grain even if people didn’t approve. So, I guess, yes.
You’ve got a sort of primal scream you can do that no other performer can. How long did it take to perfect that?
I’ve always just been able to scream. It isn't something I had to practice or work on. I’m a screamer. Meow.
Since you’re enormously popular in clubs, I’m sure you know you have gay fans. But what about lesbian fans?
I have both. Since a lot of my music is about women’s empowerment, I know a lot of strong women relate to it.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM