Porcelain Black: Black in the Saddle
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
December 13 2011 7:18 PM ET
Ever since her debut single, “This Is What Rock N’ Roll Looks Like,” pop-rock singer-songwriter Porcelain Black has been wowing LGBT audiences with her fierce, raspy vocals, two-tone hair, and bad-girl attitude. She’s released a handful of singles while fans wait for her new album (to be released in early 2012). She toured with Nicki Minaj and Travis Barker, appeared in videos for Swizz Beatz and Jeffree Star, and made her television debut on Late Night With David Letterman Show last July. Now the rocking chick in killer platforms —whose newest release, “Naughty Naughty” (2101 Records/Universal Republic), hits iTunes today — talks to The Advocate about her hairstylist dad, being a runaway teen, and whether or not she kisses girls too.
The Advocate: You’ve said everything you do is a mix of light and dark. Has it always been that way, even during childhood?
Porcelain Black: I’m the same person now that I was, seriously, when I was 5. I’ve always said what’s on my mind and went against the grain even if people didn’t approve. So, I guess, yes.
You’ve got a sort of primal scream you can do that no other performer can. How long did it take to perfect that?
I’ve always just been able to scream. It isn't something I had to practice or work on. I’m a screamer. Meow.
Since you’re enormously popular in clubs, I’m sure you know you have gay fans. But what about lesbian fans?
I have both. Since a lot of my music is about women’s empowerment, I know a lot of strong women relate to it.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM