Kelly Clarkson "Stronger" for Ron Paul?
BY Trudy Ring
December 29 2011 3:45 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage may not like presidential hopeful Ron Paul, but pop singer Kelly Clarkson does — although she’s backtracked a bit after hearing about some of the controversies surrounding him.
Clarkson tweeted Wednesday, “I love Ron Paul. I liked him a lot during the last Republican nomination, and no one gave him a chance. If he wins the nomination for the Republican Party in 2012, he’s got my vote. Too bad he probably won’t.”
Clarkson’s followers, however, quickly pointed out antigay and racist passages in newsletters that have gone out under Paul’s name over the years (he has disavowed them), ABC News reports. She said she had never heard that Paul was accused of racism, and she added that she voted Democratic, presumably for President Obama, in 2008, but she considers herself a Republican.
“I am really sorry if I have offended anyone,” she said. “Obviously, that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women’s rights, men’s rights, white/black/purple/orange rights. I like Ron Paul because he believes in less government and letting the people (all of us) make the decisions and mold our country. That is all. Out of all of the Republican nominees, he’s my favorite.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 20 min 53 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 27 min 53 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 47 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 58 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 2 hours 2 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 18 min ago