Aiden James: The Folk Musician Goes Pop
BY Brett Edward Stout
March 19 2012 11:13 AM ET
Is your family supportive of what you do?
It wasnâ€™t until recently that my family even knew what I did. I donâ€™t know, they just donâ€™t care or itâ€™s not on their radar; a lot of people have different family dynamics and my family was never super close and I always would try to get out of the house. When I was in high school and middle school my family had a lot of shit going on and I got out as much as I could to do things like take karate. But we couldnâ€™t afford it so I walked in and said, â€śHey, I donâ€™t have any money, but I really, really want to train.â€ť I just always wanted something more and bigger than my hometown had. So, he took a chance on me. A year later I was teaching classes, and eight years later I was assistant black belt instructor at the school. So, I always sort of made it happen for myself and got outside of what my card was dealt.
With your family not really a major part of your life, did you fill that gap with something else?
I have a severe personality disorder. [Laughs] No. I have an amazing group of friends that are here in Philly. On tour you meet a lot of really awesome people and that sorta filled a dynamic in my life that is super rewarding. Letâ€™s face it a lot of times my record is my entire life. Itâ€™s very consuming. And I think that kinda helps fill the gap a little bit. But, you donâ€™t miss what youâ€™ve never had.
Now that this album is released, whatâ€™s next?
Touring. And I am working on a move out west. Iâ€™ve been rehearsing a lot with some new equipment, vocal processors, pedals to distort or enhance guitar sounds, so basically when I perform youâ€™ll get an advanced Aiden 1.0. Instead of Aiden with an acoustic guitar which people love but as a musician you get bored so you want to pull in some extra stuff to keep it interesting for yourself.
Watch James perform "Best Shot" below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Latest News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 44 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM