1980s Pop Star to Perform at Toronto Pride
BY Neal Broverman
June 03 2012 4:43 PM ET
Corey Hart, the '80s pop star known for hits like "Sunglasses at Night," is staging a mini-comeback with a gay-positive remix of a 24-year-old song and a performance at Toronto Pride.
Hart appears at Toronto Pride, one of North America's largest LGBT street festivals, on June 30. The singer will undoubtedly perform his 1988 song "Truth Will Set You Free," which was recently remixed by DJ 1Love. Hart, who left music in the '90s to raise his children, says he wrote the song about a friend struggling with coming out.
"A lot of people on my first couple of recordings that I worked with closely were gay," Hart, 50, recently told the Canadian press. "I developed very close friendships with these people, and I saw a lot of pain, a lot of suffering, and a lot of hiding."
He always intended the song as an anthem of empowerment and hopes it now reaches a whole new audience. Listen to the remix below and read more about Hart here.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 44 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 7 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 25 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 33 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2:44 PM