Juanes: Latin Music Sensation To Headline AIDS Benefit
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 13 2012 7:32 PM ET
Latin music superstar Juanes will headline the Beat Goes On IV, a concert to benefit Lifebeat, Music Fights HIV/AIDS, that will take place July 26 in Washington D.C.
The latest album from the Grammy Award-winning Colombian musician, Juanes MTV Unplugged, has been number 1 on the Latin music charts in 18 countries for two consecutive weeks. Juanes is well-known for his social activism, having been an advocate for a wide range of causes, including the worldwide elimination of land mines and pre-school education in Latin American countries.
This year marks the 20th anniversary for Lifebeat, the non-profit organization dedicated to reaching America's youth with a message of HIV/AIDS and STD prevention. Gary Dell'Abate, Lifebeat's newly appointed Board President, and who is also producer of The Howard Stern Show, released a statement to the media, saying, "In honor of this milestone anniversary, we are thrilled to have Juanes headline the Beat Goes On concert to help us raise funds and awareness to fight this preventable disease."
The concert is affiliated with the International AIDs Conference (IAC), which, for the first time in three decades, will take place in North America due to President Obama having lifted the ban on people with HIV traveling to the U.S.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 5 min ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 6 min 53 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 25 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 27 min 20 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 29 min 39 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 30 min 6 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 40 min ago