Music’s New Bright, Shining Light
BY Brett Edward Stout
July 25 2012 4:00 AM ET
A rural town near a coal mine in Wales may seem an unlikely place to find an electronic singer/songwriter. As a child, Rod Thomas, known to music connoisseurs as Bright Light Bright Light, spent weekends on his grandmother’s farm and evenings absorbing music through the radio. Even at an early age, he remembers devoting nearly all his creative energy into musical interest. “I would say music isn't an escape as such, it's more of a backbone.”
He doesn’t dwell much on his early school years, but once he entered college, he found himself confronted with the realities of adulthood.
“In university I found myself very lost,” he says. “I had no idea who I was or what I wanted to be.” Even more pressing than that, he faced the terrifying truth that he was gay. “It's very strange thinking you have to ‘own up’ to something that you haven't chosen to do.”
Once out of school, Thomas immersed himself in music and took a methodical approach to the industry. He took a job at a local indie record shop, acquainted himself with the distributors and talent, and in turn, took lessons from those mentors to begin building a sound of his own. In 2006, under his real name, he produced his first track, the acoustic and wistful “Good Coat” which is a perfect example of his smooth vocals, ear for melody, and complex lyrics. Eventually his attention transitioned from acoustic to electronic. With a new sound and a fully formed idea of the musician he wanted to be, Bright Light Bright Light (a homage to one of his favorite films, Gremlins) was born.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 56 min 23 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 1 hour 9 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 59 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2:41 PM