Fox News Says Michael Stipe's Complaint Was For 'Publicity'
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 09 2012 10:02 AM ET
Responding to R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe's request that Fox News Channel stop using their hit "Losing My Religion" during their DNC coverage, the network hit back accusing the band of merely seeking publicity.
The network used R.E.M.'s 1991 hit "Losing My Religion" during coverage of the Democratic National Convention Thursday night. On Friday morning, through its music publisher, Warner-Tamerlane Music, R.E.M. demanded that Fox News cease and desist from continuing its unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song. Michael Stipe posted a message on the band's site that reads, "We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage. Our music does not belong there."
Later on Friday, responded, stating the music was used fairly and that the band was likely seeking attention.
“Fox News Channel’s use of an R.E.M. song during Thursday’s edition of Fox & Friends was in full accordance with its license agreements with all appropriate parties,” a Fox News representative said Friday. “Nevertheless, we’re always flattered to have this much attention for a song selection and we hope R.E.M. was able to satisfy their publicity fix.”
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- WATCH: Catholic School Tells Trans Teen 'Wear Girl's Gown or Don't Walk at Graduation'
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship 1 min 19 sec ago
- Theater What Does Jane Lynch Have in Common with Miss Hannigan, Her Role in Broadway's Annie? 7 min 53 sec ago
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 11 min 53 sec ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 40 min 55 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 43 min 53 sec ago
- Transgender WATCH: Catholic School Won't Let Trans Grad Wear Men's Garb 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 1 hour 40 min ago