For First Time, Music Icon Clive Davis Talks Publicly About Being Bisexual
BY Lucas Grindley
February 19 2013 2:40 AM ET
Music great Clive Davis, who discovered some of the biggest names in the business, talks for the first time about being bisexual in his new memoir.
In the book, The Soundtrack of My Life, Davis reveals that he's been in a relationship with a man for the last seven years, according to Entertainment Weekly. “Do I feel I could have been similarly attracted to a woman?” Davis writes. “The answer is yes.”
According to USA Today, Davis writes that his sexual orientation is "something that my children and close friends have always known."
"Bisexuality is misunderstood; the adage is that you're either straight or gay or lying, but that's not my experience," he writes, according to USA Today. "To call me anything other than bisexual would be inaccurate."
Davis, who is now 80, recalls his first experience with a man who he met at New York's famous club, Studio 54, some 30 years ago. “Was I nervous?” writes Davis, according to Entertainment Weekly. “Absolutely. Did the heavens open up? No. But it was satisfying.”
Davis is famous for finding big talent, most notably his discovery of Whitney Houston while she was still a teenager. He founded Arista and J Records and he's now chief creative officer for Sony Music.
Davis will appear today in an interview with Katie Couric and discusses his bisexuality. Watch two clips from that conversation below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM