Clive Davis Applauds Hip-Hop Community For Embracing Frank Ocean
BY Jase Peeples
March 05 2013 2:31 PM ET
During a promotional interview with MTV News for his new autobiography The Soundtrack of My Life, Clive Davis, who recently came out as bisexual, was asked if he found Frank Ocean's decision to reveal he had a relationship with a man inspiring.
While the music mogul was quick to admit he thought Ocean's actions were "very brave" he pointed out that the bigger inspiration for him was the overall hip hop community's easy acceptance of the news.
"I'll tell you what was heartwarming was the reaction of the hip hop community," Davis told MTV. "I mean, they accepted him as a person."
However, while Davis felt LGBT acceptance was evolving he also pointed out the battle for equality is far from over. "Today… this issue [of LGBT equality] has not gone away," Davis said. "No one should be fooled. One really has to be vigilant here. We've got this whole same sex legislation coming up and you see those fighting tooth and nail. You see the money that’s being raised. You see the audience for the conservative right and their attitude, so it’s [still] a real issue."
Nevertheless, Davis is hopeful the non-reaction to Ocean's coming out is an encouraging sign of things to come. "This could've been very controversial," Davis said. "To see the hip hop community embrace [Ocean's revelation], understand it, that was very, very powerfully positive."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 27 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM