Clive Davis Applauds Hip-Hop Community For Embracing Frank Ocean
BY Jase Peeples
March 05 2013 3:31 PM ET
During a promotional interview with MTV News for his new autobiography The Soundtrack of My Life, Clive Davis, who recently came out as bisexual, was asked if he found Frank Ocean's decision to reveal he had a relationship with a man inspiring.
While the music mogul was quick to admit he thought Ocean's actions were "very brave" he pointed out that the bigger inspiration for him was the overall hip hop community's easy acceptance of the news.
"I'll tell you what was heartwarming was the reaction of the hip hop community," Davis told MTV. "I mean, they accepted him as a person."
However, while Davis felt LGBT acceptance was evolving he also pointed out the battle for equality is far from over. "Today… this issue [of LGBT equality] has not gone away," Davis said. "No one should be fooled. One really has to be vigilant here. We've got this whole same sex legislation coming up and you see those fighting tooth and nail. You see the money that’s being raised. You see the audience for the conservative right and their attitude, so it’s [still] a real issue."
Nevertheless, Davis is hopeful the non-reaction to Ocean's coming out is an encouraging sign of things to come. "This could've been very controversial," Davis said. "To see the hip hop community embrace [Ocean's revelation], understand it, that was very, very powerfully positive."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 7 min 15 sec ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 2 hours 11 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 47 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM