Clive Davis Applauds Hip-Hop Community For Embracing Frank Ocean
BY Jase Peeples
March 05 2013 3:31 PM ET
During a promotional interview with MTV News for his new autobiography The Soundtrack of My Life, Clive Davis, who recently came out as bisexual, was asked if he found Frank Ocean's decision to reveal he had a relationship with a man inspiring.
While the music mogul was quick to admit he thought Ocean's actions were "very brave" he pointed out that the bigger inspiration for him was the overall hip hop community's easy acceptance of the news.
"I'll tell you what was heartwarming was the reaction of the hip hop community," Davis told MTV. "I mean, they accepted him as a person."
However, while Davis felt LGBT acceptance was evolving he also pointed out the battle for equality is far from over. "Today… this issue [of LGBT equality] has not gone away," Davis said. "No one should be fooled. One really has to be vigilant here. We've got this whole same sex legislation coming up and you see those fighting tooth and nail. You see the money that’s being raised. You see the audience for the conservative right and their attitude, so it’s [still] a real issue."
Nevertheless, Davis is hopeful the non-reaction to Ocean's coming out is an encouraging sign of things to come. "This could've been very controversial," Davis said. "To see the hip hop community embrace [Ocean's revelation], understand it, that was very, very powerfully positive."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 51 min 33 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM