Venue After Venue Cancels Michelle Shocked Shows After Tirade
BY Neal Broverman
March 19 2013 11:37 AM ET
The response to folksinger Michelle Shocked's antigay tirade at a San Francisco club has been swift: A Change.org petition asking for club and theater owners to cancel her shows is gaining traction, with performances canceled from Illinois to Oregon.
Shocked, a celebrated singer who rose to fame in the late 1980s and eventually performed at the all-female and LGBT-inclusive Lilith Fair, unloaded on a San Francisco audience this weekend, saying "God hates fags." She also declared fear of the world ending if gays could marry each other.
A Change.org petition asking for equality-minded venues to cancel her shows now has over 1,500 signatures. McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, Calif., Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz, Calif., Meander's Kitchen in Seattle, Cozmic in Eugene, Ore., Palms Playhouse in Winters, Calif., and SPACE in Evanston, Ill., all canceled upcoming Shocked shows, according to the petition.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 14 min 18 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 28 min 41 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 49 min 11 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM