Venue After Venue Cancels Michelle Shocked Shows After Tirade
BY Neal Broverman
March 19 2013 11:37 AM ET
The response to folksinger Michelle Shocked's antigay tirade at a San Francisco club has been swift: A Change.org petition asking for club and theater owners to cancel her shows is gaining traction, with performances canceled from Illinois to Oregon.
Shocked, a celebrated singer who rose to fame in the late 1980s and eventually performed at the all-female and LGBT-inclusive Lilith Fair, unloaded on a San Francisco audience this weekend, saying "God hates fags." She also declared fear of the world ending if gays could marry each other.
A Change.org petition asking for equality-minded venues to cancel her shows now has over 1,500 signatures. McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, Calif., Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz, Calif., Meander's Kitchen in Seattle, Cozmic in Eugene, Ore., Palms Playhouse in Winters, Calif., and SPACE in Evanston, Ill., all canceled upcoming Shocked shows, according to the petition.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out