Holly Near Is Still Singing After All These Years
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 6:00 AM ET
Included above: Lily Tomlin, Holly Near, Cris Williamson, Meg Christian, Margie Adam and the members of the Alice Stone Ladies Society Orchestra
In all, you worked with 22 different musicians on the album. Is that a record for you?
Probably. It is a two-CD collection. so it is a bit unfair to compare them to single CD projects. But it was wonderful. And I love to hire musicians and pay them. Musicians are so often underappreciated. When I produce a CD, I intentionally hire people who have ideas. I don't just hand them a chart and tell them what to play. I tell them the story of the song, the history, the intent, then I invite them to bring to the table what they are so good at doing, which is playing their particular instrument. I sit close to them and offer some direction as a director would give an actor. Then I step back and enjoy.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Op-ed: Jazz Jennings Is TV's Unsung Trans Heroine
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’