Holly Near Is Still Singing After All These Years
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Included above: Lily Tomlin, Holly Near, Cris Williamson, Meg Christian, Margie Adam and the members of the Alice Stone Ladies Society Orchestra
In all, you worked with 22 different musicians on the album. Is that a record for you?
Probably. It is a two-CD collection. so it is a bit unfair to compare them to single CD projects. But it was wonderful. And I love to hire musicians and pay them. Musicians are so often underappreciated. When I produce a CD, I intentionally hire people who have ideas. I don't just hand them a chart and tell them what to play. I tell them the story of the song, the history, the intent, then I invite them to bring to the table what they are so good at doing, which is playing their particular instrument. I sit close to them and offer some direction as a director would give an actor. Then I step back and enjoy.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 24 min 5 sec ago
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 1 hour 55 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 41 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM