Holly Near Is Still Singing After All These Years
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 6:00 AM ET
Included above: Lily Tomlin, Holly Near, Cris Williamson, Meg Christian, Margie Adam and the members of the Alice Stone Ladies Society Orchestra
In all, you worked with 22 different musicians on the album. Is that a record for you?
Probably. It is a two-CD collection. so it is a bit unfair to compare them to single CD projects. But it was wonderful. And I love to hire musicians and pay them. Musicians are so often underappreciated. When I produce a CD, I intentionally hire people who have ideas. I don't just hand them a chart and tell them what to play. I tell them the story of the song, the history, the intent, then I invite them to bring to the table what they are so good at doing, which is playing their particular instrument. I sit close to them and offer some direction as a director would give an actor. Then I step back and enjoy.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- Op-ed: Dear Cardinal Raymond Burke, I Am Your Gay Blood
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'