Is New Video Gayest Yet for Britney Spears?
BY Jase Peeples
October 02 2013 11:55 AM ET
It’s no secret that Britney Spears has a substantial gay following, but her latest single, “Work Bitch,” appears to be a direct call to the diva’s gay fan base. The song is the lead single from her upcoming eighth studio album (currently scheduled to drop December 3) and features a sample from “Supermodel (You Better Work)” — the same track that first made drag diva RuPaul a household name in 1992.
The song could be considered Spears’s gayest yet as the lyrics are more than a subtle nod to aspects of queer culture highlighted in films such as Paris Is Burning — the movie that introduced a generation to New York’s underground ball and drag scene, which in turn was the foundation for Madonna’s 1990 hit “Vogue.”
The music video for “Work Bitch” debuted Tuesday night on the CW, appeared on Vevo shortly thereafter, and features Spears as a dominatrix as she whips, commands, and dances with a group of girls. The imagery invokes the spirit of the now queer classic flick Showgirls, no doubt another tip of the hat to her gay fans as well as a tease for her upcoming two-year residency at Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas.
Take a look at the full video below and see if you don’t agree that Britney isn’t just embracing her LGBT fans, she’s literally commanding us to work, bitch.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Will Marriage Equality Cause a Spike in Homeless LGBT Youth?
- WATCH: 7-Year-Old Waves Pride Flag in Face of Homophobic Rant, Wins Internet