Who Are You Watching? The Next Diva Generation
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2013 6:00 AM ET
We're in a diva golden age, with fun troublemakers like Miley Cyrus and Rihanna getting the world riled up, more delicate divas like Katy Perry publicly calling out homophobes, and classic divas like Madonna still pissing people off. As the world won't stop turning, young ladies will never stop clawing their way to the top of the musical heap. So who are the women with the talent (or troubles) to capture gay attention and keep it there? These are the young women we're likely to be arguing about on Facebook long after twerking becomes a pop culture sidenote.
Singer, songwriter, producer, fashionista, and record label owner, VV Brown is the diva who does it all. Her style, both musical and aesthetic, is all her own. Samson & Delilah, Brown's newest album, feels darker than previous effort Travelling Like the Light, which included the hits "Blood in the Water" and "Crying Blood." This British beauty, whose real name is Vanessa Brown, is clearly not afraid to experiment and explore, with a sensibility that's more college radio than pop FM. Diva forebears: Björk, Fiona Apple
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.