Who Are You Watching? The Next Diva Generation
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2013 6:00 AM ET
Caroline Hjelt and Aino Jawo, the Swedish synth-pop duo better known as Icona Pop, dominated radio playlists, iPods, and dance floors this summer with their smash hit “I Love It.” However, it’s the pair’s infectious sound — fun and fiery lyrics fueled by a swirl of electro house, punk, and indie pop — that keeps us coming back for more. Additionally, the Swedish sirens’ welcoming attitude toward LGBT listeners is only the icing on top for queer fans who already adore the duo’s music. Those who doubt these divas are well on their way to becoming future gay icons need look no further than their latest music video, “All Night,” an applause-worthy homage to New York City’s house ballroom and drag culture. Diva forebears: Robyn, Gwen Stefani
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program